Today I made a pot roast for the first time ever! It was so cool! Just because I’ve never done it and I find that special. I took some photos and the like. I’ll even share the recipe, since it comes from my beloved Cooking Light Crockpot Book.
Company Pot Roast
…as found in the Essential Slow Cooker from Cooking Light, pg. 20
1(2 lb) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut in half
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup beef broth
1 (.35 oz.) package dried morels or dried shiitake mushrooms (I did not use this ingredient.)
1 tbl. cracked black pepper
3 tbl. sun dried tomato paste or regular tomato paste
2 medium onions (about 3/4 lb.), quartered
1 (16 oz) package carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
16 small red potatoes (about 2 lbs.) halved
1 tbl. canola oil
1 1/2 tbl. all-purpose flour
3 tbl. water
(We added celery to our recipe.)
1. Combine roast, soy cause, and garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours , turning bag occasionally.
2. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan; add mushrooms. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms through a cheesecloth -lined colander over a bowl, reserving broth mixture.
3. Remove roast from gab, reserving marinade. Sprinkle roast with pepper, gently pressing pepper into roast. Combine reserved marinade, mushroom broth mixture, and tomato paste; stir well, and set aside.
4. Place mushrooms, onion, carrot, and potato in a 6-quart electric slow cooker; toss gently.
5. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, and add roast, browning well on all sides. Place roast over vegetables in cooker. Pour tomato paste mixture into pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Pour tomato paste mixture over roast and vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours or until roast is tender. Place roast and vegetables on a serving platter; keep warm. Reserve cooking liquid in cooker; increase heat to HIGH.
6. Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add flour mixture to cooking liquid in cooker. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.
Has eight servings and has 358 calories in one serving.
NOM Rating: 4 noms!
In other news; the backyard is flooding. I need an ark.